Saturday 16 May 2009

Jamavar


Jamavar:

Its origins are from the subcontinent (Kashmir). It was worn by the elites of India and second only to silk, usually combined with it to form beautiful and eye-catching creations. Historically it was made by hand. A shawl took a couple of decades to complete. Original shawls are still very expensive. I fell in love with one last year but it was well over $1300.
Machine made jamavar is readily available all throughout Pakistan. And much cheaper.

For me, Jamavar is all richness.
I love the way it flaunts its hues. The embellishments only add to its boldness.
I have a lovely piece here which I covered and molded into a frame.

Least to say, my wall does not look the same anymore.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colours!

    I'm sure these pieces are pretty expensive too ?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In comparison with most materials, well yes.

    ReplyDelete